Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My Alpha is Better Than Your Beta...

This was a very interesting read... and much easier too. I was intrigued by all of the examples that Duncan put forth. There were so many instances that Duncan referred to that would connect the landscape to the home owner. At first you could easily say that if you lived on the alpha side; your landscape was similar to the alpha style, you were a particular personality, and communicated like an alpha would. Similarly if you lived on the beta side; your landscape was similar to the beta style, you were a particular personality, and communicated like a beta would. However, there were instances where people crossed over and kept their style. The examples that Duncan discussed, to some point, almost seemed unbelievable.

It appears that Duncan was coming to the conclusion that a landscape can and will justify a particular personality and life style. He seems to be saying that no matter how a town starts eventually particualr areas will be defined. I would like to see this same study completed in other areas around the country to see how people interact based on these findings.

Based on the essay by Duncan, there is no possibility to attempt what Bickford was trying to get across the other day. Again, how ever a town starts, eventually the roots will grow, personalities will develop, classes will develop, and people will develop an idea for what is right. Even without fences and gates.

I would definitely like to see more studies similar to what Duncan was expressing. I just can not buy in to it completely. What were the landscapes like for people who liked ice cream, but not grapes? I need more data. I feel that I understand the theory that he has put out, I am just not sold completely.

I was glad to read about the “old money” and “new money.” There is an area in Cincinnati that is exactly this situation. One of the golf club houses is dominantly and almost exclusively “old money.” It does not matter how much money you have, even if you have more then any one in the club house, if the club house considers you “new money” you will not be invited to join the club.

This was a very easy read… very interesting.

Did anyone else get a kick out of the house prices? An average house price in Bedford in the early 70’s was $80,000! Through some quick research the average home value in 2005 for Bedford, New York was $1,187,267!!
http://www.city-data.com/zips/10506.html
HAHAHA!!

5 comments:

Eric Randall said...

Chad have you happen to have read "Freakonomics" ? It is a wonderful book and I suggest everyone pick it up. If you haven't the author (an economist from Chicago, I believe) makes some pretty incredible connections between seemingly unrelated things - such as teachers helping their students cheat and sumo wrestlers who throw fights, or linking the lowered homicide rate in NYC to cleaning up subway cars of graffiti. After reading that book I wouldn't be surprised one iota if the Betas preferred Rocky Road (76%) to the Alphas' Pistachio (61%)

By the way, you all should move to Oklahoma - 200K buys a LOT of house.

Frances Grob said...

Chad-

I liked your comments and the questions you raised. It is interesting how he focused on the landscape. I wonder if within the alphas or the betas if there were even more divisions. I am floored by what the homes are now worth!

Melissa said...

Whoa! In 37 years we've had some serious inflation!!

As for data, here's a minor example. While I was in high school, my family lived in a country club community. Don't get the wrong idea, it wasn't anything fancy and it'd definetly nothing to brag about. They're actually quite common in the south. However, just because you lived in the neighborhood, didn't mean you belonged to the club which also had a great pool. I mention the pool because it was apparent that that people in the neighborhood who had BACKYARD pools, clearly did not belong to the club. While never mentioned, those families were not included in club activites and it was seen as a little "tacky" to have a pool. I can't say that they all lived in the same pocket but that would be interesting.

Chad R. Kohler said...

Eric -

I think that book would be interesting to read. Just to see the things that are connected that you would not normally think of or notice.

PS - I thought the Betas preffered Chunky Monkey.

kschommer said...

Chad,

I absolutely agree, that when a town grows and develops, communities will form and segregation will occur without the use of fences and gates. Which is what make me giggle a little bit inside whenever I see the communities with fences and gates. I think to myself, you didn't need to build the physical boundaries to make them occur.

Some urban developments today are designed in such a way to "attract" or "un-attract" certain classes/people as mentioned in the Bickford article (ie: the no-laydown-benches in parks to make them uninviting for homeless people). The big picture point for me is that with every action/decision/choice we make as designers, we need to consider how that will affect the people that use the spaces we create.